Thursday, June 24, 2010

Departure & Iceland Arrival--24 June 2010

Keep checking my Google Map as it grows:


View Reykjavik in a larger map

Got a ride down to the Twin Cities--thanks, Julia--and worked at airport for a while since my flight didn't leave for another 6 hours. Got bored with the coffee and Humphrey terminal so I took the light rail over to the Lindbergh terminal for a beer.



Flight was OK and the little baby girl next to me was quite good. Only problem was that I'd only had 2 hours of sleep with final trip prep and the plane wasn't very conducive to sleep, so....I got into Keflavik at 6h35 with about 4 hours of sleep in the previous 48. Did finally sleep on bus to Reykjavik, which was good because I had to walk around the city.

Dropped my bag of at the Hótel Leifur Eríksson



and they kindly let me have breakfast even though I wasn't checked in yet.

Walked across the street for the Hallgrímskirkja. There's a group of organ recitals coming up so I hope to attend one performance.


















Grabbed a coffee at Kaffitár and read (Kaffitár's the red place on the left),



Kaffitár on Facebook

did some strolling and decided to read in the park overlooking the harbor.









On the far right there are kids playing in the playground. 2 things to love: 1) they ALL where refelctive construction vests so that they're more easily seen and 2) the kerchiefs on the little girls heads. Here's a better shot from when they were leaving:



You're right. It's not the park in Morris, but that's the friggin' point. I'm not at all displeased to be missing the talent show. Last week the singing was so off key I had to put music on in the house to cover it up so I could keep my windows open.

It's wonderful to be here, but I must say that it's a little disheartening to see the city quite so dirty. It wasn't like this last year. Paper plowing around, beer bottles and full cups of beer on the sidewalks--I expected this on the weekend, since Reykjavik is definitely a work your butt off and party hard kinda place, but it was midweek!

Came back and slept--I know, I know, not the best thing but I was wiped out. Here are some other shots of the city:

I just loved the look of this space, the kayaks, clock, flowers, headboard, sky lights as I went down Frakkastígur:



Here's a look down Skólavörðustígur with the bay in the background:



and one down Laugavegur:



And finally, through a window that needs some cleaning...

2 AM in Reykjavik on 24 June 2010:

No comments:

Post a Comment